Taste and Odour Control
Chlorine Dioxide is far superior to chlorine for destroying phenols, algae, sulfides, iron and manganese contaminants present in source waters. Its selective reactivity makes Chlorine Dioxide more effective than other disinfectants at removing taste and odour compounds. Chlorine Dioxide has been shown to be effective at a dosage of 1mg/L in the control of taste and odours resulting from algae and decaying vegetation.
Chlorine Dioxide effectively oxidizes low threshold-odour compounds, including geosmin, 2,3,6-trichloroanisole (TCA), 2 methyl-isoborneal (MIB), and members of the pyrazine family1. Chlorine dioxide has also been proven effective in destroying taste and odour-producing phenolic compounds, which are oxidized with minimal production of chlorophenol.
Oxidation of other off-taste and odour-causing compounds, such as mercaptans and disubstituted organic sulfides has been demonstrated